MOTHER DAIRY CALCUTTA
Mother Dairy Calcutta, a Government of West Bengal Project was established in December, 1978 under Operation Flood II Programme, World’s biggest Dairy Development Programme of National Dairy Development Board with an initial capacity to process and market 4 lakh litres of fluid milk per day to cater the demand of Kolkata and its suburbs.
The first distribution vehicle loaded with Polypouch Milk rolled out of the Dankuni Plant of Mother Dairy Calcutta
in the morning of 8th December 1978.
Initially, the Govt. of West Bengal entrusted the management of the dairy with the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB).
On 24th March 1982, the -then Hon’ble Chief Minister, Shri Jyoti Basu dedicated Mother Dairy Calcutta to the Rural Milk Producers and Urban Milk consumers of West Bengal. They have designed, installed the plant and also carried out expansion of the dairy on turnkey basis.
With effect from November, 1996 the Govt. of West Bengal handed over the management of Mother Dairy Calcutta to the West Bengal Co-operative Milk Producers’ Federation Ltd. (WBCMPF Ltd), Salt Lake, Kolkata.
The Mother Dairy Calcutta was designed to receive and handle milk in bulk and also dispense milk in bulk through Mini Dairies (Milk Booths). Subsequently, introduced Insulated Tanks (200 ltrs & 400 ltrs) and Poly considering the need of consumers.
1. Mini Dairies
2. Insulated Tanks
3. Local Area Distributors
1. Milk -8 (eight) varieties
2. Mishti Doi
3. Plain Yoghurt
4. Flavoured Yoghurt
5. Proboitic Doi
6. Ghol (Butter Milk)
9. Ice Cream
10. Mango Pudding
1. Taken over State Dairy Durgapur
2. Taken over State Dairy Burdwan
3. Taken over HIMUL Dairy, Matigara, Darjeeling
Towards the path of Development
1. M/s. Bengal Nestor’s Ind Ltd, a Joint venture project with WBIDC, Franchisee Unit for production,
packing and marketing of Mother Dairy Calcutta brand milk in Burdwan and other allied areas.
2. M/s Bengal Nestor’s Ind Ltd, a Franchisee Unit of State Dairy Burdwan for processing and packing of Mother Dairy Calcutta brand milk.
3. Kullick Milk Union, Raigunj a Franchisee Unit for production, packing and marketing of Mother Dairy Calcutta brand milk in North Bengal areas.
4. Mother Dairy Calcutta runs the HIMUL Plant at Matigara, Darjeeling and produce, pack and market Mother Dairy Calcutta brand milk in North Bengal areas.
5. M/s Electro Air Pvt Ltd, a Franchisee Unit of State Dairy Durgapur for production, packing and marketing of Mother Dairy Calcutta ‘Valentine’ brand Ice Cream.